Franklin Lions Club History
The Franklin Lions Club (FLC) was chartered in 1957 by the International Association of Lions Clubs. The first President of the FLC was Lion Norb Koch. A number of projects attempted during the first year have carried on through the years - helping those persons with visual and other handicaps, little league baseball, 4th of July parade and program, Labor Day Fair, and Easter Egg Hunt. The FLC shares with other clubs many State and International Lion projects.
In the early years, social events for members and their spouses were scheduled throughout the year. The winter banquet and party was a highlight for the club. Minutes to early meetings include adjourning the meeting so that the members could play sheepshead and partake in a good meal. Other meeting minutes indicate that members danced immediately following meetings.
The FLC is dedicated to service to the community, but at the same time enables its members to gain many immeasurable assets in terms of goodwill and understanding of self and others.
The Lions Clubs are non-political and non-sectarian. They constitute a tremendous force for international friendship and goodwill. The Lions emblem is highly significant in symbolizing Lions International. It represents a Lion, a symbol of strength and courage; facing both the past and future - being proud of the past and confident of the future. Lions are proud of the achievements since being created in 1917 (International Association of Lions Clubs) and are confident they will continue to make incalculable contributions to the advancement of all people in the future.